Feedback

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM
Please provide your feedback here when you have finished downloading and reviewing the project.

I look forward to all constructive criticism on this project.
Jun 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I was looking for a resizing method like this and your worked perfectly. I'm using your method to make the presentation of a game of mine independent of resolution. Thanks a lot for your effort! I'm trying to remove the margin from above the Silverlight object, but so far I haven't succeeded.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Thanks Hemmet.  I'm glad you got it all worked out!

Happy to help.  I really felt there was a need for this, and it seemed to work great, without the extra overhead of a Viewbox control. Let me know if you have any requests for additional features.

-Tim

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:08 PM

About Viewbox, what are the advantages of using your method over nesting the content in a viewbox? I was thinking about having a viewbox centered in my page and using your method to have a maximum and minumum scale for it. 

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM

That's a good question.  It depends on what your purpose of the project is, and what else you might include in it.  For instance, if you are using many different items in the Silverlight Toolkit, then it makes sense to use the Viewbox, since you would already have increased your overhead due to the reference to the Toolkit .dll.  My code is really slim, and much less in the way of overhead when compiling your project. To use the Viewbox control, you would need to have the user download about 100K just to use it. So before the user can even see your start page, they are downloading 100K first.

One more thing to note, I noticed that using the Viewbox doesn't always scale in a way you might want (for instance when your xaml objects over-fill the canvas). Don't get me wrong, the Viewbox is a wonderful tool - my code just makes sense when you don't need any of the bells and whistles the SL Toolkit contains.

Hope that answers your question - if you need any follow-up, please don't hesitate to post.

Cheers,

-Tim